Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Aliens and giants: part one

Something dead is floating in the inlet. I rush over and squat on my haunches to inspect the find. The thing is long and gray. It’s an alien that crashed in the bay. I wonder if it died from the crash to earth or if it lost its alien helmet and died from our poisonous air. Aliens can’t possibly breathe the same kind of air as humans. I wonder where its family is right now. Did they stay home on their planet? Are they waiting for their daddy to come home? Mama aliens wouldn’t venture to another planet. Mamas have to stay home and take care of the babies. I poke it with my flip flop. The alien rolls over and I can see one of its eyes is missing. A seagull or possibly a crab has made a snack of it. Other than the missing eye, it’s pretty much in one piece. Looking out at the ocean, I wonder where this alien’s spaceship is and if can still fly into outer space. I’m only five but I’ve seen lots of UFOs. When my sister and brothers and I put our sleeping bags on the driveway and look up at the night sky, sometimes we see lights that do weird things. They’re up there big and bright, and then they disappear in thin air just like they were never there at all. Other times we see bright lights that move really fast across the sky. I know there are UFOs and aliens because I’ve seen them on Shock Theater and The Outer Limits. I hear something behind me. Could it be another alien from the crashed spaceship? “Whadja find?” I turn around to see my brother, Danny. He’s looking at the alien floating in the water. I don’t want him to see it. This is my discovery and I know I’ll be famous when everyone hears that I’ve found a real live, well, not live, but a real alien. “It’s a dead alien and one of his eyes is gone,” I say quickly. Danny gives a sort of snorting laugh. “That’s not an alien, dummy. That’s a hammerhead shark.” To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment