Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dear Seattle

Dear Seattle, How are things going with you? Hopefully, most of the cloudy and rainy shite is behind you for a few months. I was thinking about you this morning (no, not missing you at all!) and thought I'd give you an update. I started a new job on May 22 with a company called EnerySys. They supply software for SCADA systems for the oil and gas industry. They do project management, and design control rooms (and furnish the hardware and software for the control rooms as well) for the oil and gas industry. I'm their first technical writer and apparently they're trying to work me to death. HA! I've been working every day since Memorial Day. I’m hoping to get a day off soon. I do like the job, though. It's a new industry for me so I'm learning, learning, learning. I LOVE that part of the job. I got an apartment just under 2 miles from the job site. I live in a place called Stafford, which is about 25 miles south of downtown Houston. There's not much to do here in Stafford (except go to the Fry's Electronics store, which I frequent, and eat at various restaurants) but I do love being so close to work. I plan to venture into downtown one of these days and experience some culture. Rumor has it, there are many things to do and see downtown. I’ve even joined a couple of meetup groups but haven’t had time yet to join them on an outing. One group is called Random Acts of Culture (clever) and the other is a wine tasting meetup group called Gusto. There is a wine growing area called “the Hill country” which is north, and which I plan to check out. That might be an overnight adventure. It is incredibly hot and humid here, which will take some getting used to but frankly, I love never having to wear a coat or sweater. Flip flops and A/C are my friends right now. There are many beaches about an hour or so south of me. Stewart beach in Galveston is a nice public beach and is only 60 miles. I've been there a couple of times and can't wait to go back. I went to lunch with a female coworker yesterday and got the inside scoop on the company. I’m trying to reserve judgment, but there seems to be a lot of turnover in the company. That’s not a good sign. Again, reserving judgment. Until the next update, I hope you are showing the Seattleites your beautiful, sunny side. Jude - The Newly Minted Texan

4 comments:

  1. Culture, in Houston, LOL? Random Acts of Culture is good. Pleased that you are enjoying your new job. You are hot and humid. In Vegas we are hot and dry. Enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe, I know. There seems to be culture pretty much everywhere on the planet, if you know where to look. Making your own culture can be fun as well. Steampunk comes to mind. I actually like hot and humid. Reminds me of some of the steamy movies I used to watch as a kid. There's a kind of sensousness to this climate that agrees with me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, there's another Frys in Houston? The only one for a long time was the one up on I-45 north of town but I did like the oil field theme? What's the theme for the Stafford store? Cows concrete, and sugar cubes? The one in Renton was really a disappointment theme wise.
    As for things to do, don't forget about the Gret Texas Mosquito Festival in Clute in July. http://www.mosquitofestival.com/ While you're down there you can try out Surfside Beach too. It's a lit less crowed and has some really deep sand dunes. Cool little town too. -- Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed a theme to the Fry's here in Stafford. I'm usually intent on getting in the store to shop rather than noticing what the outside looks like. Of course, everything has the big "lone star" theme around here, which I think is pretty cool. Texans are a proud breed. I like that. There's a mosquito festival in my apartment every night, don't have to leave town for that. LOL! Thanks for the idea. I just might check that festival out. I bet it's REALLY hot and humid in July here. It's in the 90s every day here already.

      Delete